The PIAA shared a response. Their Board of Directors will meet tomorrow to review Governor Wolf's Recommendation. They will release an official statement at that time.
Earlier today, the PA Department of Health and Governor Tom Wolf announced their recommendation that Pre-K–12 school and recreational youth sports be postponed until at least Jan. 1, 2021, to protect children and teens from COVID-19.
At this time, it is a strong recommendation and not a state mandate. It will be up to the school administrators and locally elected school boards to make the decision.
Highlights of the recommendation to pause youth sports until Jan. 1, 2021:
- Applies to team and individual, school and non-school recreational youth sports;
- Includes competitions, intramural play and scrimmages;
- Continue conditioning, drills and other training activities on an individual basis;
- Does not apply to collegiate and professional sports;
- Gathering limits remain unchanged – no more than 25 persons may gather indoors and 250 outdoors.
You can read more about the recommendation HERE.
Thumbnail via Getty Images.