Overnight Closure Between Cranberry and New Castle Interchanges
Closure needed for bridge replacement work at Freedom Road.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission alerts motorists that the Turnpike will be closed in both directions between the New Castle Interchange, Exit #10, and Cranberry Interchange, Exit #28, starting at 11:55 p.m. on Aug. 22 until 4:30 a.m. on Aug. 23.
The four and half-hour closure is needed to allow crews to safely remove bridge beams from the original Freedom Road bridge in Cranberry Township, Butler County which carries traffic over the PA Turnpike at milepost 28.
Westbound traffic should follow this PennDOT-approved detour:
- Exit Cranberry Interchange (Exit #28)
- Take I-79 north to
- State Route 422 west to
- PA Turnpike 376 (toll road) east
- To reenter the Turnpike at the New Castle Interchange (Exit #10)
Eastbound traffic should follow this PennDOT-approved detour:
- Exit at New Castle Interchange (Exit #10)
- Take PA Turnpike 376 (toll road) west to
- State Route 422 east to
- I-79 south to
- Reenter the Turnpike at the Cranberry Interchange (Exit #28)
During the closure, motorists can enter the Turnpike going westbound at the Beaver Valley Interchange, Exit #13, but drivers are asked to use the suggested detour to limit heavy congestion on local roads.
This work is part of the replacement of the overhead bridge which carries Freedom Road (State Route 3020) over the PA Turnpike. This is a PennDOT District 10 project funded by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission. For more information on this project visit: Freedom Road Bridge Replacement Project .
To report an accident or other emergency on the PA Turnpike, dial *11 via mobile phone. To learn more about PA Turnpike conditions or to contact us, use one of these resources:
- ON THE TURNPIKE
- 511PA Smartphone App: Real-time, hands-free PA traffic advisories and detour routes.
- Waze Smartphone App: Real-time alerts from other drivers.
- Digital Message Signs: More than 100 boards along the Turnpike.
ON THE WEB
- ·Turnpike Travel Conditions Map: Live, interactive map.
- ·511: Dial from any PA roadway for local travel information.
- ·800-331-3414: PA Turnpike Customer Assistance (weekdays, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.).