Today marks 13 years after R&B star Aaliyah tragically passed away in a plane crash. Aaliyah and eight others perished in the crash over the Bahamas on August 25th, 2001. She was only 22 years old.
There is no doubt that Aaliyah had many more years ahead of her in her career, but she still managed to touch the hearts and lives of many including her fans and fellow musicians. Her legacy and music still heartily lives on today.
We remember reasons why 13 years after her untimely death, Aaliyah is still one in a million.
1. For starters, Aaliyah was a stunning, natural beauty.
2. But her beauty on the outside matched her beauty on the inside. As a child she used to sing for the homeless at a homeless shelter that her father ran.
3. She was not only beautiful and talented, but very smart too. She graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA.
4. She had a great sense of humor. Her and close friend Kidada Jones prank called Kidada's father Quincy Jones. Even Missy Elliot in an interview described Aaliyah as being "like a comedian. She always wanted to laugh."
5. She was more than a great singer. She was an actress too! Her first major movie role being Tricia "Trish" O'Day in the 2000 flick Romeo Must Die along side Jet Li.
6. And this song from the movie inspired many to always try again.
7. She was not afraid to take fashion risks and had her own unique style.
8. "Are You That Somebody?" may have been huge in the late '90s, but it's still a gem today.
9. She was loved by her family and friends, and especially by her two close friends Missy Elliot and Timbaland.
10. She lit up every room she walked into and DMX describes her as having "a presence on TV that was incredible."
11. She was/still is a role model and inspiration for many girls and young up-and-coming artists, including Zendaya and Tinashe.
12. We could listen to "One In A Million" on and on and on forever.
13. Aaliyah and her beautiful voice live on today through other artists and their music. Drake recently released a song "Enough Said" featuring the late R&B star's vocals, as well as Chris Brown who is including his song featuring Aaliyah, "Don't Think they Know" on the deluxe edition of his latest album X.
Photos: Getty Images